I have spent seven months exclusively standing, but my back in particular cannot take it anymore. My personal experience is as follows:
- I don’t feel like a sloth sitting all day.
- I might have burned a hundred or so extra calories a day.
- I am pretty sure my hamstrings and calves have gotten bigger.
- Despite claims to the contrary, my ability to focus is ten times worse at a standing desk.
- My back is killing me by the end of the day.
- For reasons not entirely clear, it is impossible for me to write a grant at a standing desk. With a June grant deadline approaching, I finally dismantled the thing. All I can say is WHAT A RELIEF!
Maybe Pro, maybe Con:
- Most people at your work will think you are insane.
So my experiment ends. To make up for the “Pros” above, I now take the stairs in my building (I reside on the 5th floor). I am interested to hear from any other standing advocates who actually gave up a chair for a significant amount of time, so please comment!